Thursday, April 2, 2009

Surgery Recovery for Two

Good Afternoon. Thought I would send out a quick update on our successes and struggles with our recoveries from surgery.

Wayne is doing well. He had a few days that I thought he was struggling, but he had a second follow-up today and the doctor told him he was doing well and should have his strength back soon. We are both grateful for that.

I on the other hand have had an extremely difficult time recovering. I can't seem to get the pain under control. After several medication adjustments over the past week and a trip to the ER last night, I think we finally have it under control (knock on wood).... Yesterday evening around 7:30 I was taken off all other pain meds and put on morphine. Four hours later the morphine still had not "kicked in". Wayne was finally sleeping and getting some rest, and I didn't want to wake him, so I called Trina Holm, and she took me to the ER and stayed with me - Continually distracting me from the pain. We called my doctor as soon as we arrived at the hospital, so he knew I was there and so he could let the ER doctor know what my "history" had been. After a short review of my medical issues for the last couple of weeks and a quick exam, I was given a shot of morphine (higher dose and instantly in the blood stream). It only took about 30 - 45 minutes to work and I was soon a happy girl. Trina was laughing at me as I was "poking the spots I was seeing". So yes, definitely a happy girl. Trina took me home soon after that, it was around 1:30. Thank you Trina. Wayne was glad to have me back home and we "synchronized" our wake-up times to take our next dose of meds. I have been on bed rest all day and am glad to report that I am doing much better. At least the pain levels are now tolerable.

I am thankful for caring friends and family and compassionate, well educated doctors and while I wish I didn't need it and I am of course grateful for the morphine. :)

Love to all. -Wayne & Sheryl

No comments: