Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Broken Back a good thing.?!

Hi everyone. We met with the oncologist this morning. The cancer in my lower back is not new cancer. It was there before and I didn't realize it. I think he told me that, but we were focused more on the ribs and upper back because those lesions were larger than the ones in the lower back.

Here's what's happening.... (minus the medical terms)

My body continues to be responding well to the treatments (maybe even better than before) and as the cancer reduces in size and/or "dies" my bones are left with "holes" until the bone fortification can rebuild the bones (increase the bone density). The lower spine and vertebrae have been weakened because the cancer is reducing in size and is smaller and my back is compressing faster than the fortification process can rebuild the bone where the cancer once was. Hence the intense pain. This is what we want. The good news is that they can inject "bone cement" into those areas and the relief is instant. They are scheduling me for an MRI for early next week, hopefully Monday, and I'll have the injection(s) done immediately afterwards.

So the doctor said that it's a good thing to be in pain and to have a "broken" back because it means I am responding well to the treatments.

Thanks for all your prayers. lol -Wayne and Sheryl

In a message dated 3/16/2009 11:54:56 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time, SherylThomson writes:
Good Evening.

I have been struggling with some intense pain in my lower back the last couple of days. Also had a nose bleed and some other symptoms that indicated possible internal bleeding, so I went to the hospital and had some lab work done. I was told no internal bleeding. I went home and felt strongly that I needed to return. So this evening I took myself to the ER. After several tests all the labs came back normal. I insisted that I wasn't leaving until we learned what was wrong. We did a CT scan and learned that my cancer has spread to my lower back. I was given some pain medication and will be call the oncologist in the morning. That's all I know for now.

Thank you to Trina and Debbie for helping me emotionally and to Shelby, Darla and Bert for coming to see me. Thank you to Roy, Neill and Alan for the blessing - that was of by far the greatest comfort.

We will keep you posted. Love, Sheryl

No comments: